Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Re: Amazon Kindle DX: 9.7-inch screen and $489

oh yeah. it's so tiny at the bottom.

I think the DX is going to be a bust. Partially because the promotion seems to be unnecessarily limiting. Saying the new kindle is for textbooks and newspapers also says, hey, non-students, forget this expensive cousin, it's not for you. that seems counter-intuitive in an environment where technologies are consolidating on platforms (like the iPhone. Is it a phone? yes, and a web browser, game platform, blah blah blah).  How much technology am I supposed to carry around with me? And wait, it's even bigger?

I like the new feature sets and the display seems to be an improvement, but now i have to have to carry my phone, my kindle, my laptop, and my kindle dx for textbooks and newspapers (with a larger screen to accommodate advertising?!). no thanks.

Add to the lunacy this little tidbit about Murdoch looking to generate cash and views for his media products by making yet another handheld device which channels just its content (WSJ, Times of London, and *gasp* the New York Post) and suddenly my bag is bursting with expensive, specialized devices? No thanks. I'd much rather do what millions of years of evolution say my species is good at and just adapt--in this case to the limitations inherent in universal devices. At least until I can get an implant that puts the images into my optic nerve.






From: "spaceman@fiolink.com" <spaceman@fiolink.com>
To: Rich Cleland <rcatuw@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:29:18 AM
Subject: RE: Amazon Kindle DX: 9.7-inch screen and $489

It still has a keyboard.


-----Original Message-----
From: "Rich Cleland" <rcatuw@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:04am
To: "Mike LaVigne" <spaceman@fiolink.com>
Subject: Amazon Kindle DX: 9.7-inch screen and $489


They ditched the keyboard too.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/06/amazon-kindle-dx-97-inch-screen-and-489/

No comments: