Monday, March 30, 2009

How did I know...

When I jumped ahead on a video that the cheeseburger that I saw on the
screen was a comercial and not Americas funniest home video?

1. I identified the object - a hamburger
2. I thought of the context - I'm watching tv (explains the fact that
there are any pictures at all) which has a show that plays home videos
(this features a series of pictures that share many of the same
characteristics)
3. Begin to pattern match to determine a degree of similarity (which I
have judged to be an effective measure for answering the question, is
this the show) - production quality (home videos versus commercial-
grad production, humor (Im watching a generally funny show, is the
cheeseburger funny), familiar narration, etc.
4. Conclude in a fraction of a second that I need to continue my
skipping.
5. Start making commercials that are tailored to take longer to assess
in that scenario to get me to process longer looking at the marketing
(propaganda)

No comments: